Interested business owners complete the Kuleana Program Application and indicate how they demonstrate kuleana principles and practices in their everyday operations. This is reviewed by the Chamber’s Kuleana Program Committee, which also may conduct interviews and/or on-site inspections, request manuals, information and reports, examine relevant industry standards, and check their status with the Better Business Bureau and other relevant agencies. The Committee determines eligibility based on an overall score. Compliance can be based on the production, purchase, use, sales, or promotion of products or services according to the following criteria:
• Product/Service Quality
• Unique products / services that deliver benefits to consumers, society and the environment.
• Community Relations & Benefits
• Activities that help the community to flourish socially, culturally, and economically.
• Customer Relations
• Strategies to provide outstanding service and attain customer loyalty.
• Employee Relations
• Policies for hiring and retaining employees, and for promoting accountability
• Environmental Stewardship
• Actions to minimize the business’ impact on the land, and efforts to conserve and regenerate resources.
A business must be engaged in at least four qualifying strategies per category in order to meet the minimum membership criteria. Above that threshold, members can attain higher levels of recognition as they integrate additional kuleana approaches in their business, as follows:
• Level 1: A business embarking on the journey (score of 100-125)
• Level 2: A business making a stronger commitment (scores of 130-160)
• Level 3: A business that is more completely integrated (score of 165-195)
• Level 4: A business demonstrating mastery (score of 200-245)
• Level 5: A business exhibiting outstanding leadership (score of 250-390)
Because of their commitment to the “triple bottom line” of financial, social and environmental performance, green businesses enjoy a number of competitive advantages:
• Improved financial performance, increased profit and greater access to capital;
• Greater efficiency, productivity and quality;
• Increased sales from enhanced brand image, reputation, and customer loyalty;
• Greater ability to attract, motivate and retain a talented workforce; and
• Better management of risk to their reputation, finances, and business environment.